Residential Burning

Daily Burn Day Information

Daily burn day information is available by calling the Air District’s Burn Day Information System at (530) 889-6868 or by visiting their Burn Day Information webpage.

Burning Rules

The only materials that can be burned legally include, dry tree and brush trimmings, dry leaves and pine needles, dry plants and dry weeds. Lawn clippings may not be burned.

Strictly Prohibited: Burning household garbage, plastics, fiberglass, rubber products, waste oil or treated wood (such as painted wood, dimensioned lumber and plywood) is strictly prohibited. These materials can produce poisonous, toxic gases when burned.

To report a complaint about backyard burning in Loomis Monday through Friday between 8 am and 5 pm, call the Air Pollution Control District at 800-488-4303 ext. 7130. To report a complaint after working hours or on a holiday or weekend call 800-488-4308 ext. 5375.

Be considerate of your neighbors by only burning dry materials, burning on a burn day, during burn hours. As an alternative to burning, consider composting your vegetative material. Call the hotline at 530-889-7399 for information on composting. Composting will “spare the air” and improve your garden.

A residential burn permit is required.
Click here to get your burn permit online:
Web Burn Permit
Burn permits also are issued over-the-counter, Monday-Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, at the following fire stations:

Station 16 – 5300 Olive Ranch Road, Granite Bay
Station 17 – 6900 Eureka Road, Granite Bay
Station 18 – 5840 Horseshoe Bar Road, Loomis
Station 20 – 3505 Auburn-Folsom Road, Loomis


You can have that pile of material chipped and returned to you as mulch for your garden. Placer County provides a chipping service for a small fee and available to all residents. The California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CDF) manages the overall program.

The goal of the program is to reduce the local fire hazard by converting large piles of flammable material into small piles of useable biodegradable material.

Program Requirements:

Chipping will only be done along a road or driveway frontage which will allow the crew to work from the road or driveway.

All material to be chipped must be placed along the edge of the road or driveway with the cut ends pointing toward the access.

All material chipped will be blown back onto the property.

To arrange for chipping service, call the CDF fuel reduction chipper program at (530) 889-0111, ext. 3.
For more information, visit Chipper Program – Placer RCD.