Residential Burning

During certain times of the year, residential landscape debris burning of dead vegetation, agency sponsored and agricultural burning projects, and broadcast burning is allowed. However, burn permits are required and during the dry months, burning will be suspended altogether. Check our alerts section for updates on burn statuses.


Burning Rules


When burning is allowed, be considerate of your neighbors and the community by only burning dry materials, burning on a burn day, during burn hours. As an alternative to burning, consider composting your vegetative material.


Okay to burn:


  • Dry tree and brush trimmings
  • Dry leaves and pine needles
  • Dry plants
  • Dry weeds


Illegal to burn:


  • Lawn clippings
  • Garbage
  • Plastic
  • Fiberglass
  • Rubber
  • Waste Oil
  • Treated wood (Such as painted wood, dimensioned lumber, and plywood)


Burning Permits


A residential burn permit is required. Click here to get your burn permit online: Web Burn Permit


Burn permits also are issued over-the-counter, Monday-Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, at the following fire stations:


  • Station 16 – 5300 Olive Ranch Road, Granite Bay
  • Station 17 – 6900 Eureka Road, Granite Bay
  • Station 18 – 5840 Horseshoe Bar Road, Loomis
  • Station 20 – 3505 Auburn-Folsom Road, Loomis




As another alternative option to burning, Placer County offers a chipping service. For a small fee, you can have a pile of material chipped and returned to you as mulch.


For more information, click here.




To report a complaint about backyard burning in Loomis Monday through Friday between 8 am and 5 pm, call the Air Pollution Control District at (800) 488-4303 ext. 7130. To report a complaint after working hours or on a holiday or weekend call (800) 488-4308 ext. 5375.  You can also report a complaint by completing the form below.